Friday, September 04, 2009

Of Old Professions and Street Etiquette

So I'm seated at home comfortably browsing the web instead of studying for my upcoming exams as I should be when I hear some commotion outside. I mute the TV to hear what's going on and I hear a woman claiming that she's being thuped by some jamaa. I peer out the window and find indeed that there's a jamaa and a chick on the ground outside all but exchanging blows. I'm in shock and for a moment my feminist side almost has me flying down the stairs (super woman to the rescue) but then I get to hear what the confrontation was all about.

The woman stands in the middle of the road, having disengeged herself from the dude, and with arms akimbo declares loudly enough for the people in Madagascar to hear, "Mimi ni malaya!" By now a crowd has started to gather and this does not phase her from going on "Na utanilipa! Umesha ni tomba na sasa ulipe!"

2 things. First, there are certain JD's that require a certain tenacity and strength of spirit to undertake. I've heard too many a story of what can go wrong in the oldest profession.

Second, the least you can do as a purchaser of certain services is pay for them. Would you walk into the NSE buy shares and refuse to pay?

As for those creating a disturbance in the hood, the guy took off (perhaps overcome with embarassment) and the damsel chased after him to declare his mis-deeds further afield and secure the Kshs. 1,800.00 she was owed.

And in other drastically unrelated news, there's an ad on TV for Rotavirus which is said to kill quite a number of kids annually. Wouldn't one think that a serious topic deserving a sombre mood? Well, the genious who got the contract to create the ad went ahead to give it a yellow and red background with pictures of kids and ... a chirpy instrumental version of 'yankee doodle'. Need I say more?

7 comments:

Bomseh said...

Ksh. 1800? Kwani bei ilipanda lini and from her lingo, if u quoted her right, is not high class.

Mama said...

Hehehehehe Bomseh! High class ni wa pesa ngapi:-)?

Aibu ndogo, ndogo kwa estate....sipendi.He should just have paid her!!

Digzer said...

@ Bomesh ... I would have asked how you know but I've got to agree ... She didn't look high class at all ... and I quote her word for word.

@Mama I've heard of chicks who ask for 20/= (for real, it was on news!)

Then at least the guy wasn't from around. How do you look your neighbours in the eye after such a scene?

joyunspeakable2011 said...

What? Too much dont you think?

Digzer said...

JU I hope you refer to the 1800/= and not the 20/=

:-)

Shiko-Msa said...

1800/- maybe was accumulated dues. At the rate of .... say 20 bob each time?

Digzer said...

Lol Shiks!