Monday, September 07, 2009

The future is wireless? Please no!

Today was a day created by God to show me why we must resist technological advances and embrace human resources (even though they be civil servants!)

Get a call in the morning from work (I'm on leave studying for exams (hence the great increase of activity in the blogosphere)) and I urgently needed to access my email. So I plug in my Safcom thingamajing and I get an error message (Error 1717 ... like that should mean something to me ...) I try again and again only to realize that I don't have cash (Damn that Sauti Sol video that I played over and over yesterday!). So I load up with credit (thank you m-pesa inventor) and try again ... just to get the same error message. I call Customer Care 6 million and 15 times but it obviously doesn't go through (heck I'm only a customer .. why shoud it?). I try accessing the net on my phone to no avail. *sigh*

My mood clouded, I decide to go to town to pick a few things and get some cash. I go to the ATM machine to find it being serviced. So I walk off to another branch only to find an error message. I bid for time (impending exam weighing heavily on mind), buy stuff with the cash I had and go back to machine A only to find a &*%#@| error message! ("Wale watu walikuwa wanatengeneza walisema watarudi" the helpful watchman tells me)

I'm upset. I'm pressed for time. I'm hungry. I don't have money. (aaaaaaarrrgh!) Lucky for me I still had some m-pesa money on my phone so I withdrew some.

When I got home, I was releived to find that the net was up. Just now I'm surprised to find m-pesa is down.

Join me in throwing some device or other against a wall ...

14 comments:

Sultana said...

lol, technology i tell ya! pole.

Digzer said...

Karibu Tana.

The bane of my existance on days like those!

Bomseh said...

And recenly there were tweets saying that google was crashing. I panicked since I hav stored a lot on google. It goes down I go down too. The future is unknown but wireless sounds so near futre.

Mo said...

Mon dieu! Well, at least everything worked out in the end.


"I go to the ATM machine to find it being serviced."

For some reason, that sentence made me laugh. Excuse me, I have a way of seeing double entendre in eveything. :P

Digzer said...

@ Bomesh, better start thinking of backing up. And backing up the back up. And backing up the back up's back up, ad infinitum. Maybe there's some new super gizmo on it's way to save the online world ...

@ Mo, only a special kind of mind would see certain things ... ! You've made my morning!

Anonymous said...

I have enough of a pile of annoying gadgets to start a bonfire should you want to go that route. :)

joyunspeakable2011 said...

Technological stuff? Interesting. Man is faulty. He has never played God and succeeded

Digzer said...

@Magaribina I'll get the matches =)

@JU that's why the very idea of human clones is so scary. Possible begining of the end?

Shiko-Msa said...

Did you not after all that put your dinner in the microwave only for it to spit some 'invalid entry' error codes? Hehehe. Lord forbid that our kitchen gadgetry should start talking to us.

I'll join whoever is burning Safaricom Customer Care.

Mo said...

Yay, I'm special!

Wait...

Mama said...

Your'e not serious about civil servants? Eish! No!

Digzer said...

@Mama lol! I can just imagine your experiences at the hands of those!

@Shiko I strongly suspect that Safcom's Customer Care is just a figment of someones imagination...

The idea of talking kitchen gadgetry is Steven King spooky ...

@Mo :)

wetwool said...

yours seems to have been what perhaps we might call "one of those mornings". On the whole things generally work quite well and I'd imagine that is why so many people are hooked to technology and it's hundreds of applications; M-pesa, atm, mobile-phone, wireless connectivity - do you remember the 1900s living in an unconnected world and depending on phone-booths, letters and telegrams....to borrow a phrase: there is no future in the past

Maua said...

A few yrs ago we had none of the gadgets we rely on today, and life went on, except maybe at a slower speed.

I'm with you on smashing some against the wall.