Friday, June 19, 2009

Of slowness and related tardiness


I'm working on the single most boring engagement in my adult life. It's a 50 page document that's so dreary I've been reading it for a whole week, taking it home everyday and I've only gotten half way! How shall I survive?! Anyhoo, I find myself very distractable and thought why not tell a tale!


The other day on my way to work, there was a mat whose dere said they were going to the general vicinity in which I was headed. Being on a road where those mats don't ply, I wondered to myself for about 2 seconds before I jumped in, ready to enjoy the ride. Now this is where I think there must have been something wrong with me. Not at the jumping in part but at riding along jolily staring out the window as we moved from familliar settings to stranger and more deserted roadsides. When I snapped out of my reverie and decided to get off, I was standing a distance from the office in what we shall call 'the middle of nowhere' (makes you think of Eustace and that dog huh? But I digress).

After standing by the road for about 10 minutes I realised that 'tmon' doesn't have many mats and that the few that pass by are packed to the brim and caked with mud in a manner likely to suggest a long journey from beyond the city limits. I decided to call my cab guy only to have him tell me that he was about as far as he could possibly be from 'tmon' and the other one was mteja. Just as I was having a conversation with my God for a clue on what to do, seeing as the clock was a-ticking and I needed to get to work, a mat miraculously stopped infront of me and I managed to plough through the gunias of produce, find a shared seat and get to work - late but at least I made it.

The saddest part of this tale is that I wasn't nursing a hangover or anything ... just being particularly slow (which may explain my problem with the document). Have a faster day please! Shiko thanks for the heads up! :-)

3 comments:

S said...

LOL! I hope you finished the 50pages, yeah?

KK said...

LOL! I'm sure you look back and smile at this.

Digzer said...

@ Sibbie, yes I did make it through the document and immediately wondered what the big deal had been ...

@KK, yes I do :-)