Saturday, January 07, 2012

Of Kids and Suicide

I've had so much to write about in the past 6 months but life kept getting in the way. My apologies and let's see if we (read I) can't do better in 2012.

Anyhoo, let's start the new year, not by exchanging views on the Nancy Baraza fiasco but by pondering the sanctity of life. Everywhere I turn, I hear the story of primary school kids killing themselves. There are the 2 who chose to leave us as a result of their performance in KCPE and I swear I heard on news the other day the story of a boy who killed himself because his father refused to buy him new school shoes.

Pause. Ponder. My class 8 results were important to me. Really they were. But I must say they weren't that important. I hoped to do well but I also enjoyed playing shake with the other neighbourhood kids. What happened to the young? Remember the girl who killed herself coz her folks wouldn't let her go watch Shaggy in concert?

Where did society take that wrong turn?

2 comments:

Digzer said...

Also, follow this link to see a related story by Carole Mandi

http://mobile.nation.co.ke/Education+is+key+to+life+but+not+worth+dying+for/-/1017178/1301536/-/format/xhtml/-/14r3j0gz/-/index.html

Ghafla!Guy said...

It is all about the importance we (parents and society)judge the kids according to academic performance and not their talents or otherwise. These kids become so scared of this even committing suicide seems like a good option to get out of it.