Thursday, January 06, 2011

The Unstoppable Rush


I'm on leave (yeah don't you wish you were me) so I spent my evening watching the movie "Unstopabble". I must say that it's been a mighty long time since I watched a movie that kept me on the edge of my seat. It's just something else!

Speaking in very broad terms, the movie's about a runnaway train loaded with diesel and highly flamable chemicals that hurtles forth at great speed. The question on everyone's mind is how to stop it and avert the iminent disaster. Enter (the ever good looking) Denzel & Chris Pine; two guys who happen to be there at the right time with an idea. Can it possibly work?

Unfortunately, there is a downside. For all the great acting, there are some characters who should never have been given their parts. Either that or there were some flaws in the script. The perfect example is the kid playing Pine's son. He shows absolutely zero emotion throughout the whole movie save for the absolute end. He is not surprised that his dad's on tele, doesn't wonder why there's a mad rush, isn't startled by the speeding train ... Something wrong here? Why not just used a cardboard cut out? Then there are Denzel's daughters. Instead of being concerned about their dad's well being, they seem to be cheering him to pull stunts that no man of his age (or yours) can pull. Not normal.

Other than that, it's a really great film that I would encourage all to see.

3 comments:

Nyambura said...

leave...i'm so hating you right now:-) haven't watched unstoppable, but everyone who has loves it. happy new year

Maua said...

Off to look for it. Heard about it, but the flaws, not bothered before. Now, dare u stop me.

Digzer said...

@Nyambura - the leave was short lived. Back at the grind now. Happy New Year to you too!

@Maua - get the feeling you unstoppably watched it :)