Sunday, March 21, 2010

Makmende


This guy has become a Kenyan phenomena over the span of little more than 48 hours. Who is he? Rewind .... play: Just a band - a really great and different Kenyan group, recently released the video to Ha-He, one of the best songs in their album '82'. (Watch it below) The protagonist of the video is Makmende, Kenya's self styled Jack Bauer straight from the 70's. After the release of the video, Makmende developed a following of his own quite seperate from the group and video, and he is everywhere! Facebook, Twitter, Mashada; there's now even a Makmende site.

This goes to show that Kenyan creativity is something to reckon with. These sites have been keeping me in stitches all weekend long!

3 comments:

Mama said...

Aki what's this makmende?

Digzer said...

@Mama ... He's a fictional guy invented by the guy who came up with the video on my post. (The name itself I hear dates back to ooooooold slang) He's the otero of otero's if you will. And that's what the spin off has been all about.

Shiko-Msa said...

Many of the comments about Makmende made me laugh my guts out. I got it first hand especially on Twitter how creating Kenyans can be!