Sunday, October 18, 2009

Of Rains and Planning (or lack thereof)

I have 3 days of dawas to go! I think on Thursday my local will have a welcome mat out for me, a T-shirt and perhaps even create a Digzer theme night! I do notice though that while I was away, the price of beer went up. Bummer. But as someone on radio said, there's little that can be done to keep the faithful drinker away from their drinkee of choice!

In other news, the rains are here and I swear I won't complain about getting drenched. I should have taken a 'before' picture of the Nairobi River for those of you who hadn't seen it recently, to get, well, a picture of how dire the situation has been. Birds, and I mean tiny ones and not stocks, were standing comfortably in the middle of the river sifting through the mud for grub. After the last few days' rain, there's water to speak of. You can actually hear the water flowing past. It's nowhere near it's former glory; a river rushing so wildly it was capable of drowning a full grown man, but with any hope it will get there.

I am saddened by the firm knowledge that our dear government (whose water ministry is presently embroiled in a scandal over stolen millions) will do absolutely nothing to try and capture, contain and conserve this water for future need. I mean, on yesterday's news they said that there were floods in Mandera (I kid you not) that were now leading to untold suffering for a community that was only last week suffering from the ravages of the drought.

God help Kenya.

8 comments:

KenyaChristian said...

Its a scandal that the government has done barely anything to conserve water after the drought we have gone through.

Mo said...

Thinking about the complete inefficacy and decadence of the Nairobi (YES) government gives my headache a migraine and my inflamed ulcers a stomachache.

Stupid merry-go-round; just as one gets excited about the dusk of the fin de siècle of a particularly corrupt and decadent (for the few) time, an even worse one premieres.

In hell, I hope each of these ineffably evil leaders gets continuously gang-raped by a village of elephant member-ed demons.

Digzer said...

I feel the strength of your revulsion Mo. It doesn't help that every single day on news there's a scandal over this that and the other. It seems that nothing is done without millions getting 'lost'.

@KC it is indeed, and the trouble is that this is an ongoing cycle that is repeated year in year out.

Shiko-Msa said...

Lord help us indeed. Just the other day Coast was flooding. I've a feeling the current lack of rain is just a brief let up and then they'll pound for real.

Mama said...

This governement doesn't care about any of your issues. They are probably waiting for next elections to use conservation of water and building of dykes in flood prone areas as a campaign gimmick!

The constant neglect of people from marginalised areas is something I understand very well Mo. This government and the preceding ones have always been and always will be Nairobi governments, until we start decentralising our operational systems....that majimbo they are always talking about may not be such a bad thing after all.

Mo said...

Uko wapi, dadangu? Long time, no post.

And you need to update my new blog url into your blogroll.

Shiko-Msa said...

Yes. Long time no post.

Digzer said...

Hey peeps. Trying to get this work and leasure time thing straigt. Will be back soon ..