Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Of Manholes and Covers


In my walks around the city, it has recently come to my attention that quite a number of manhole covers are being removed. There's a time I actually witnessed some guys do the removing at noon or thereabouts in an estate, but we all assumed it was the Council doing its best to unblock the clogged drains. Its only after about a month when the clogging hadn't been sorted out and the cover hadn't come back that we smelt a rat ...

Today, on my way to work, I was shocked to find a gaping hole on what I had all along assumed to be a part of the road. Seems that these guys either walk around with the City's sewer plans or have a nose for smelling these things out ...

Anyhoo, it reminded me of the tale of 2 pals of mine who'd been walking on a rainy evening through the CBD. They'd been in deep conversation when one of then suddenly realized that she was talking to herself. She looks sideways to try and see where the other has gone but doesn't see her. It isn't until she looks down that she finds that the other had stepped into a water covered manhole (thinking it was just a puddle) and was at great pains trying to extricate herself from it. It's all friend No. 1 could do to stop laughing and assist. The mental image always gives me a chukle.

Have a manhole free day won't you!

2 comments:

Our Kid said...

The City Council really deserves a smack on its collective bottom for not sealing those manholes.

I hope I have a manhole free day.. (but not a woman hole free day!)

Digzer said...

Yours is a bottom in need of spanking with equal measure!!! :)