Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Many ways not to skin a mbuzi!


Of my many untold stories, the one that keeps me chuckling every once in a while as I go on my way is the story of the goat. Until recently I lived in South B which is really your average Nairobi middle class area that has something for everyone. In such places, it is not surprising to see a goat being grazed within the estate when the festivities of Christmas and the New Year draw close.


It was therefore no surpirse to me when that happened and I would smile to myeslf whenever I saw the animal and hope that I would be invited to the bash of its downfall. Christmas came and went and then the post election fiasco occuerd and I had few thoughts to spare for the goat. So it wasn't until sometime around March (well we can all be slow) that it dawnd on me that the mbuzi was still around and still grazing. By June I was wondering ... 'Kwani they can't think of an excuse to chinja it?' So one day I approached the owner and asked her what gives?


'Ah huyu hatuwezi mchinja sasa' I was told in a coasto accent 'huyu ashakuwa pet kwa watoto'. It is upon hearing this that I remembered that I had often seen her kids playing with the goat and speaking highly of it. But that's not even the cruncher ... not only do we have a pet mbuzi in my court, but it even has a name. The damned thing is called 'Rehema' ... and it itikas when you call it!!!


Dunia ina mambo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

he heee... what court is this... its my neighbourhood too!

Anonymous said...

that is soooo funny

Digzer said...

Zax hebu go call that mbuzi Rehema and see if it itikas!

Mama said...

Aii Digzer, surely you hadn't heard of such things before?

Well I have some cousins who live in Plainsview (still your neighbourhood) and they got a hen from shags they made it their pet and when it died (it was so old just dropped dead) they couldn't eat it coz it was their 'pet'. Taking this scenario, I think a goat is a better pet, don't you?

Digzer said...

Mama stop making my day!!! In my book, a pet is a dog, a cat or even (from what I see on TV) a snake. All other edible animals (in an African as opposed to Asian context) belong on a plate with a dash of salt and proper accompaniment!!

:-)