Monday, June 16, 2008

Of Drugs and Side Effects


So I’ve been unwell and it’s been a real downer. And predictably enough, the worst part was the drugs. I finish today at lunch time and can’t wait. Probably go for a drink later on to celebrate the end of antibiotics!

Anyhoo, when I was given the dawa I decided not to read the box or the ka-slip that comes with it as I was sure I would get each and every side-effect if I knew of it beforehand. So when I got through one of them, I read the slip and was shocked to find that the drug has been found to be carcinogenic when tested on lab rats! I mean really! What’s the point of having the ability to send a man to the moon and a bot to Mars if we can’t cure illnesses without causing CANCER! For crying out loud all I had was a tummy infection which I find a tad more convenient than radiotherapy! Then the other drug’s side effects included a pre-disposition to seizures!!!

On reading some more I recognized most of the side-effects as what I had taken for granted to be caused by the infection. One was a furry feeling in the mouth which I would never actually have understood but for the experience (you don’t want to know). Another was a feeling of daftness which they described as a feeling of confusion. I was much pleased to realize that that was a side effect and not just a natural mental state. I’ll watch for improvements.

Well now I’m glad to say that I’m better and roaring to go. I only wish someone would take the time to make drugs look more appealing and taste better … and of course make them less harmful than what they’re curing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate drugs, as in tablets and capsules. The prick does it for me. Quick, painful but effective all the same.

Digzer said...

@ Bomesh Oooouuuch!

Shiko-Msa said...

Haki the injections are better. I agree with Bombseh. As long as it's not those ones you get a prescription for more than 3.

So now you're better get back to blogosphere. Karibu.